hanna, dool, set, net!

These two guys were so excited to be taking TaeKwonDo this week. Jake was standing so proud in his uniform. Grant has done this before and had earned his yellow belt. However, it has been awhile and he needs a refresher so white belt it is! As soon as he got home, he was googling "how to count in Korean" because he had forgotten how and it was driving him nuts.  We've started working on our Chinese vocabulary again, and I'm been surprised on how quickly Grant picks it up.  We may just have a little linguist! I've been thinking about breaking down and buying the Rosetta Stone program. Has anyone used it before? 

The same day as TaeKwonDo, the boys met with their new piano teacher. I was excited about this and they initially were as well. But the TKD beat out the excitement of piano at dinner as neither had any recollection that they even went! Boys!


Anonymous –   – (September 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM)  

Before you get Rosetta Stone, I recommend you check your library. You may find that they subscribe to one or two FREE language programs that you can access online through their website.

I've had GREAT success with Mango Languages and love their program. Their philosophy is a conversational approach where students memorize conversations and then are encouraged to formulate new based on what they've memorized. There is a small amount of instruction on grammar and context.

Tell Me More is another one that some libraries subscribe to. I haven't used it, but I have friends who really like it. I don't know from experience, but I've heard there is more instruction here.

More often than not, I find that people are frustrated with Rosetta Stone alone. They use an immersion approach where you learn by guessing. You learn by guessing correctly enough to remember. Most users tell me that they like it, but get frustrated after a while and they want some more explicit instruction.

Google the websites of each to see what they say about themselves. I know you can also google for reviews from other homeschoolers.

Sharon McPherson Seibert

Heather  – (September 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM)  

Sharon, thanks for the info! Our library offers Spanish. I'm definitely going to check out the other language tools you mentioned. It's SO great hearing from you!!

Annie  – (September 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM)  

They look so cute in the uniforms:) I never realized how close they are in size!

Anonymous –   – (September 17, 2012 at 6:06 AM)  

Boys are adoreable! I checked out Rosetta but then Chinese, Mandarin and Cantonese? Big difference I guess? Which would you get? Love you,

Love Omi

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP