I Found A Little Boy

I found a little boy today. No, literally, I did. I was driving to the gym two hours earlier than I normally do and saw him.  He was an adorable little Hispanic boy about age three or four running down a busy street first on the sidewalk, across a bridge, and then into oncoming traffic. I turned around in the road as quickly as I could, pulled off into an entranceway to an apartment complex and told Ally to stay with the boys. This little boy was not leisurely running either. He was running with a purpose! Another woman caught his hand as he turned away from the traffic back towards me. With one hand on him, I dialed 911 and started walking back over the bridge thinking his mom would be running after him any second worried to death. 

But she didn't. In fact, I spent 45 minutes with the little guy and never discovered his name or age despite several people asking him in Spanish and English. He was perfectly content just sitting there and really kind of acted like we were interrupting his afternoon plans. Proudly he showed me his penny he had in his hand.  His mom or dad never came looking for him. He never once asked to go home, never asked for his mom, or dad, or aunt, or grandparent even when the police officer came. He had absolutely no desire for the cookie, the balloon, or the stuffed animal he was offered. He was wearing his Lightning McQueen pajamas with a suit vest underneath of his shirt and two different pairs of shoes which were on the wrong feet. He just sat contentedly inside the apartment rental office that I took him into to warm up and dry off. 

I don't know that they found his family yet. But I'm trying to remember that we don't always know the circumstances of events that occur. However, I wish the old adage of, "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers" worked with children because he'd be mine in a heartbeat.... I'd just need better running shoes to keep up with him! 

Omi –   – (March 6, 2012 at 5:12 AM)  

He sounds like a new sweetheart. I wonder why no one was looking for him?

Love Omi

Kelly the Overthinker  – (March 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM)  

Oh, wow. One of the children who came into care with my sister was found similarly. I wonder if they'd tell you the outcome if you called the police again to ask. An experience like that will stick with you. Praying now that he's okay!
Kelly

The Rylands Family  – (March 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM)  

Oh my Heather!!!! I found a neighborhood child right next to a pond one day. He looked to be about 2 years old! YIKES! SO sad!

Kristi  – (March 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM)  

Oh that makes my heart hurt.
Can't imagine why that happened.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP