Courage

          Sitting in the rock climbing center, I was watching Ally and Grant scramble their way to the top of a huge wall with ease.   They climb in a group of about 8 kids with 2 adults strapped to their gear. I saw one blonde headed little boy out of the corner of my eye. He was off to the side away from the other children and working alone with a trainer on a wall. I think it was the bright blonde hair and a huge smile that made me notice him. He was trying to pull himself up the wall while he was safely hooked to the trainer. Then I noticed his feet and ankles that were turned and looked so stiff. As he pulled up with his skinny little arms, I couldn't help notice his stiff hand curled in. I could see this little guy had cerebral palsy but that was in no way stopping him. His trainer said, "Great job! You're doing better!" to which he replied, "Too slow! I want to be faster. I'm doing it again!".

          Not being in his shoes, I know I couldn't fully comprehend how difficult this was for him. What amazing determination and bravery he showed! I'm not even his mama, and I was proud of him. A lesson in determination played out right in front of me today!

Patty Powell  – (February 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM)  

And that's the same kind of encouragement you have displayed in your life with RA to me and many others. Love you Heather!

Aunt Patty

Annie  – (February 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM)  

Aw Heather!!!!! I love this! I feel the same way when I watch my Lizzie struggle with some task, determined to make it work, any way she can!!!! I get the impression that you have been a similar source of inspiration!

Anonymous –   – (February 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM)  

I love your heart...
xxxooo Mom

Kristi  – (February 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM)  

Wow!!! This needs to be posted on No Hands But Ours to encourage folks about kids with CP.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP