Conversations with Jake

I don't post too many of these anymore as Jake's memories and experiences of China are fewer than when he first came home. That's not to say that his conversations are any fewer as he still talks non-stop and to anyone he meets. I started blogging the memories so I could help him remember them as he grew older. My intent is to have them compiled in a Blurb book just for him. I've been working on it forever and hope to get it finished before he has children of his own! 

The kids were sitting down to lunch together and Jake and Grant began talking. Jake was telling Grant that when he was in China, he had to go back to the orphanage to wait for his "new family".  He said he was "really bored because there were no toys and lots of babies there" and that he cried because he was "worried about his new family coming for him".  Grant replied that Jake didn't know that he had a new family coming. Jake immediately reminded Grant that mommy sent him a letter with pictures and toys! And that yes, he DID know we were coming for him. "That's why I cry",  he said. I remember sitting down to write that letter and thought how in the world do I explain to a non-English speaking three year old that I was going to be his new mommy, that he was going have a new family, that he would be leaving China, but everything would be okay. I do you effectively introduce yourself in a letter to your son? I probably did a horrible job especially once it was translated into Chinese. But somehow, the point got across to him that he was going to have a new family whether he wanted one or not. I've said it before, but kids are amazingly resilient. If adults could only have a fraction of the faith of a child!  

Last night, he was looking at his "Chinese family pictures" that he keeps in his room on his dresser neatly stacked. This is really telling in proving how important they are to him considering that Jake is not exactly my neat-freak child. His room pretty much stays a disaster. In fact, a swear a plume of dirt and chaos follows that kid! What's that Peanuts characters name? That's Jake. I think he no longer trusts me with his pictures after my misplacement after the move. Eric and Jake were looking at the pictures prior to bedtime and Eric was saying how small he was while in China and how big he was now. He was pretty proud of that fact since he practically measures his height every morning to see how big he's grown overnight. He has such high hopes of being really tall and tells me every morning that he's sure he grew while sleeping! There is so much to love about that kid! I don't like it when people say how lucky Jake is to be here. We are so blessed to have him in our family! He certainly brings a new level of chaos, commotion, and fun we didn't have before! 

(Just a note: Some of my FB friends may have already read my status, but I wanted to get it into the blog.)

Omi –   – (October 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM)  

Jake, Mommy is so right, you are such a blessing to our family. Can't wait to see you all.

Love you, Omi

The Kings  – (October 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM)  

"We are so blessed to have him in our family! He certainly brings a new level of chaos, commotion, and fun we didn't have before!"
-That is exactly how I would describe my thoughts about bringing Sam into our family!

I actually think Jake may be right and he is growing over night. When I see pictures of the two boys together I am shocked at how tall he has gotten.

Kristi  – (October 29, 2011 at 9:59 AM)  

Our kids are so amazing, aren't they? Can you imagine having a letter read to you explaining that you were going to move across the world with new people? What a sweet little guy!

Julie  – (October 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM)  

I know what you mean when you said you do not like it when people say he is lucky to be here. I feel uncomfortable when people say that about Emerson too. We feel so blessed to have him as part of our family!!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP