All About Homeschooling



Okay, so the post title may be a bit all-encompassing. I'd thought I'd share a little of what homeschooling is looking like here. We don't officially start until the day after Labor Day with the rest of Oregon. I intended to start earlier, but I just wasn't prepared enough yet due to, well, life. So this past week we broke in our homeschooling room working on history, literature, and science, a little geography, mapping skills, and making blends (Jake). Grant added in math as he just simply enjoys it. We needed to ease into school. Okay, I needed to ease in to school. The thought of teaching all three had me panic stricken for a few days. I texted, emailed, and talked to my mom, homeschooling friends and mentors. 

I decided I was so stressed because I felt like I had to find the perfect co-op with the perfect classes, and had to find art and music classes, and other "electives" right away. All those things are great, but they really squeeze your schedule putting pressure on me to be a thousand different places and do a thousand different things. My kids don't really need all that immediately, but they do need me. They need me to be patient, level-headed, calm, and in some sort of sound mind. So, for the time being, I'm not worried about any of those extras. We'll stick to basics and do some field trips with the co-op groups. Whew! I feel less anxious. Don't you? 

Here is our history timeline board (the psychedelic-looking board), our World map, and white board. Jake's work table will be going there as well. We've been using it as a temporary kitchen table while we wait for ours to be delivered.  


This is Allyson's workspace. Both Grant and Allyson have desks in their room so they can work independently if I'm working with another kiddo.  



This is Grant's workspace. My space is scattered around as I help them. 

  
Today, Grant, Ally, and I played an analogy game out on my master bedroom deck. This isn't the best pic of it, but you get my drift. Jake sat and traced his letters too. They really enjoyed using this space. It's covered so hopefully we'll be able to continue to use it despite the rainy season.  


Our curriculum is filled with ABeka, Apologia (love that), real Literature (no Captain Underpants for us), Bright Ideas Press, Lamplighters Series, Saxon, among a few other publishers. It's a bit eclectic, but I think from what I've been able to see, it is the best mix for the time being. So there's a peek into our homeschooling! 

sidknee  – (September 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM)  

Looks like things are falling right into place. That's really a nice study room, beautiful.

Tina Michelle  – (September 2, 2011 at 9:47 PM)  

You have a really great space to learn. Thanks for sharing. I hope everyone has fun homeschooling and you find all the co-op classes you are looking for.

Annie  – (September 2, 2011 at 11:37 PM)  

Love your set up! I just have Caleb home this year but if I keep the girls home next year, I will def need to figure out something else! Hope you all have a great year!

Kristi  – (September 3, 2011 at 5:40 PM)  

Considering that your truck arrived so recently, I'm really, REALLY impressed!
Blessings to you in the start of your school year.

And out of curiosity, did you always homeschool?

Anonymous –   – (September 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM)  

The office is probably my favorite room of the house, unless I take a bath in the master bathroom with the fireplace on! That really looks neat!

Love Omi

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP