Keep Portland Weird

Lest you think, I, of all people, am being unkind with my title..... think again. It's a very popular bumper sticker here!

Today, I took the kids to a park that homeschoolers meet at each Wednesday afternoon. It was a large group of kids ranging from toddler to teenager and had an eclectic group of people there. Alright, mostly eccentric people. As if I didn't stick out like a sore thumb already, there I was with my white sneaks, my Banana Republic shirt, and my iPhone. The others were busy smelling like incense talking about the methods of unschooling while breastfeeding children and eating organic fruit. It certainly wasn't the Latin learning, Abeka drilling, literature appreciating homeschoolers I'm used too. I gotta find my crowd. Not to say I won't give it the 'ole college try again. After all, I'm all for doing things differently when it works, but this just wasn't my style. The kids played well with all the other kids and never noticed anything I did. They had a great time. They needed to meet people and hang out a bit. Yesterday I heard Grant say, "I've been here a whole three days and I haven't even met my friends yet!".  Pull my heart out why don't ya!

In other family news, looks like we will really be having even more family togetherness. I found out today that our moving truck hasn't left Jersey yet. Which means, it won't be here tomorrow like we had hoped! The problem is that the lease is up on this apartment on Friday morning. Plus, Eric has been living in hotels all over the great, eccentric, beautiful state of Oregon. Frankly, he's just tired of it. So we will be camping inside our new home. The kids now have new sleeping bags and I have a new air bed! Wahoo!!!! (Can you hear the sarcasm in my writing?) Should be an adventure the kids will enjoy. As always, I'll keep ya posted!

Julie  – (August 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM)  

Grant's comment is just too adorable!!!! Sounds like some interesting folks out there. Good luck finding your friends out there too. :) Remember you always have your bloggy friends. :)

Shonni  – (August 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM)  

The title made me laugh!!
Hope you find some kindred spirits there soon!

donna  – (August 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM)  

Just be glad they don't give up on showers.
I think camping in your new digs will be fun. at least you'll be home, and finding out what's up in the neighborhood.
loveya

Anonymous –   – (August 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM)  

Heather, I feel your pain. We're in the middle of a lovely moving drama of our own. When will Captain Kirk and his people allow us to use their transporter room?!

Sharon

Anonymous –   – (August 4, 2011 at 11:15 PM)  

Gee Heather, sounds a lot like Washington state. My sister-in-law lives there and she has gone all "twigs and berry". She doesn't use plastic in the kitchen, no microwave and she makes her own laundry detergent. Those are the calm things. I hope you guys get settled quickly. I think about you a lot.

Jessi K.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP