On My Soap Box

I've been trying to get Grant speech therapy for some time. He had it when he was considered "early childhood" via the school district. He wasn't attending a public school at the time. Then they said he should restart speech therapy if his backwards "R" doesn't resolve by the time he's 8. Fine. I waited until he was eligible again at 8 years old. 

Not knowing of our impending move, the school district speech therapist called us for the evaluation appointment. I told her of our move and how we would check into the Oregon school system for help. I mentioned that we were homeschoolers. She replied, "Oh, well you would have to find your own services anyway. We don't do homeschoolers. They have to go to a public school to be eligible for services."

I know for a fact that Grant had speech therapy when he was in a private school as did other private school children. I also know that my tax dollars are paying for the speech therapy service provided to all the other children in our school district. If  is was worth my energy and my frustration, I would have argued with her, the school district supervisor, and our state senator (who has even given me his home phone number at one point....told you it's a small town). 

This moving thing is stressful and I'm in no condition of "nice-ity" to be near someone who is irritating me. That speech therapist should be lucky that I have some self-control! Hate it when people short my kids on things like that!

Omi –   – (June 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM)  

You're right it's not worth the effort but I bet she's wrong. If it were'nt such a busy stressful time I'd call the senator just to get it straightened out for future kids.

Love Omi

The Kings  – (June 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM)  

I have a whole rant of my own on this subject. I hope the schools in Oregon will be more willing to work with you. Very, very frustrating!

The Raudenbush Family  – (June 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM)  

We were told here in PA that the state is required to provide services whether a child is public schooled, private schooled, or homeschooled. Hope you figure it out!!! Why do people have to be such a pain about these things?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP