Shoes are Depressing!

Let's just start right off with a complaint. My feet have been killing me lately. It doesn't matter what shoe I wear. I had my orthotics redone AGAIN, and it still hasn't helped my deformed left foot. Actually, my foot hurts worse when wearing the orthotic! My tendons in my one foot have fallen off where they belong and the joints are no longer moveable.  They unfortunately are stuck in a curled position.  I also have a Rheumatoid nodule on the bottom of the foot just to make me crankier!  I headed back to my foot doc and he said there's nothing left to do but put pins in the toes to hold them correctly.  I've learned from previous surgeries that foot surgery is one of the worst. You have to baby your feet and can't push through the pain since you can't bear weight. Simply put, that causes me to be depressed. SO I'm not ready for that. 

In my quest to find a shoe to wear (I HATE shoe shopping), I went to a New Balance Store to be fitted correctly by a special shoe sales guy. My foot doc even wrote a note regarding my issues for the sales guy! He actually did know what he was doing and what he was looking for.  I left with a shoe that, honestly, I'm not sure is going to work. However, the toe box is quite large which should prevent so much of the friction and skin breakdown. But, get this, the sales person was out of a particular shoe that may also work for me. He told me to wear the ones I purchased out and about and not worry about getting them dirty. Then, next week, come in and try the other ones he ordered for me if these aren't working. He said I could exchange no problem! At least when you overpay for sneakers they give you a good return policy! 

So, to try my trusty new kicks out (that slightly look like old women's shoes), Jake and I meandered about the mall waiting on Allyson.  I saw some cute clothes in Forever 21 and decided to kill time while walking in my large old woman's shoes with my "big" girl jeans and "mommy" top.  No,  my "old" 36 year old body didn't feel the slightest bit odd in there with the young, tiny, cute college girls. Me? Feel out of place???? 

Okay, yes, I did. Isn't that ridiculous? I swear I even saw some other mom's in the food court just staring at me while walking out as if to say, "Girl, You obviously don't belong there!".  You'd think since I'm done with junior high, I'd no longer be self-conscious! 

By the way, anyone with input on any incredibly comfortable sandals that may actually look nice, please let me know where! 

Julie  – (February 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM)  

I am so sorry to hear that you are in such pain! By the way, I am still self-concious as well. I was always the "shy one" and I fall right back into that role so easily. Ugg!

Annie  – (February 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM)  

Oh Heather!!! I am so sorry that you are having so much pain!!! I agree with Julie, I was always very shy and I always HATED my hair. I know my brother goes through the same sort of thing with his feet and finding really good inserts and shoes, helps a lot. I think the Berkenstocks (sp?) are suppossed to be good!!

donna  – (February 25, 2011 at 8:36 AM)  

Dawm had the foot surgery,,,,on both feet. One at a time, she had a real mess with bunions, and extra bones. Too long toes, which were shortened and had pins in them to keep them straight for about 6 weeks. It was pretty ugly, but she pulled through, now she runs marathons.
She did, does not have RA, but the surgery looked pretty radical to me, and after what you've been through, I can't imagine it would be the worst you've ever had.
You should shout out at her and get some input.
loveya

sidknee  – (February 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM)  

Get those shoes straightened out, gonna do alot of walking at the beach this year, right? I'll even skip my daily nap !!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP