My Thursday Lunch Date.....

.........always looks just like this!




Since Allyson is taking classes on Thursday mornings until lunch, Jake and I have a noodle lunch date. It's always noodles.  Today he asked specifically for Thai, and you know I'm never one to deny a child (or me) Thai food. So we found a new Thai joint around the area we were in. He ate 3 bowls of noodles, broth, and "pig" (his words, not mine).  He then proceded to lift up his shirt to show the employee his belly and to tell her that he is "getting stronger and stronger."

I've mentioned before how skinny and tiny Jake was when we met him in China. It was breathtaking in a bad way. I was shocked. I have a video of him playing in the bathtub that I can't show on the internet for obvious reasons, but I remember watching him thinking what in the world did he eat! He ate his way through our trip to China and continued eating vast amounts once home. He scoured our plates for the food we weren't eating once we were finished. I remember seeing him sneak around to each family members plate taking bites off of our plates so we wouldn't see him. He snuck food once he was home too. One morning, he kept asking for more food and I kept giving it to him. That is, until I realized he had just eaten 6 eggs and a banana! 

Fast forward to 10 months later, and he is still an eating machine. We call him our garbage disposal. When we visit our regular Thai restaurant, he cleans all of our plates for us and even eats the decorations. Of course, the employees love watching him eat too. With every single meal, he still asks if he can have more "when I done this?". The answer hasn't changed. It's always a yes; a reassurance that there is still more food. There is a change however.  He still eats large amounts and really enjoys eating very much, but he doesn't consume 6 eggs and still ask for more. It has slowed down just a notch. But watching Jake eat never gets old. There is just something about the pleasure he gets from stuffing and sucking noodles that is mesmerizing.  I enjoy watching the bottom of the bowl tipped to his mouth on our lunch dates because that is when he's the happiest, most satisfied little boy you'll ever meet. 

Anonymous –   – (February 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM)  

I love pasta, I eat it more than anything. Lo Mein too.

Omi

donna  – (February 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM)  

It makes me wonder if there was enough food there in his former home for everyone. Did they realize that a little boy needs good food and needs not to be hungry. What a mystery this little guy is. So funny to watch him grow.
Love it.

Anonymous –   – (February 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM)  

Love watching this kid eat. Remember at the beach and we had chicken wings and how he 'cleaned' each one. Not a piece of meat left anywhere, and the green beans. He is such a happy little man.
Uncle David

Kristi  – (February 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM)  

Good for you for letting him eat until he is full. Slowly it seems that he is learning that there will be enough.
And so you know, the upturned noodle bowl made me smile too

Julie  – (February 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM)  

Isn't it amazing how much they can put away?! We are still shocked by Emerson!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP