Only 3 months, but seems like forever



July 10---- Jake has officially been home in the States for three months.
And what a difference 3 months makes. Jake understands almost everything we say now. Sometimes, I'll ask him to do something, and he will understand part of what I ask and need some clarification otherwise. His latest thing to say besides, "What-r-u-doing?" is, "I not think that is .........". He loves to say, "Awesome!" and "Whats-a-that?" He is still really bad with identifying colors. There's an eye doc appt in his future. But he can identify a tractor, school bus, ambulance, fire engine, police car, motorcycle,  big mac truck, dump truck, a flat bed truck, and on and on! He is putting complete sentences together with verbs and articles, adjectives and adverbs. He still tells big stories, and he can still "drive anything". He frequently uses his nickname "San San" in place of "I". ( "San San like that!"   "San San hurt foot" "San San not tired")  If you ask him his name, he will tell you, "San San  XXXX". We still go back and forth between Jake and San San at home and probably always will. I don't notice improvements in language daily, but definitely notice improvements weekly. He says "turn it out" for "turn it up" and "turn it out" for "turn it around". I hear  "Mama, What's that?" and "What-a-r-those?" a least a hundred times a day. The boy wants to know the English word for everything.  Funny thing is, sometimes when I tell him the English word, he says, "Not (car, ice cream, or whatever it is)....." and tells me the Chinese word for the object. He then, of course, acts exasperated at me and corrects my lame attempt at repeating the Chinese word! He gets the word for goggles and crackers mixed up. Trust me, I spent an afternoon looking for "crackers" in the pool all the while wondering how I missed Jake bringing crackers in there! That is, until he found the goggles himself and said, "Here they are!".  If you would like to spend 5 minutes with Jake, please click HERE. 


He still knows how to work it. When he wants something, he will crawl onto your lap and rub your ears while whispering to you what it is he wants. He can give the most pathetic faces. He is our little prayer warrior. I teased Eric saying, "Boy! Do we know how to convert a Muslim!". Warped sense of humor? Yes. He is the FIRST person to put his little hands together at the table before any morsel of food is devoured. He prays, "Dear Jesus, thank you for my food. Thank you for my family. Amen." Too sweet!


I wish I could show the video of his first bath while we were in China. (A little too much nudity for the internet!) It's when I called Eric in to show him how skinny Jake was. Honestly, it was a bit frightening and scary. I don't think you could picture it until you see it. I showed my mom the video the other day, and she was surprised. It took my breath away. He was 27 lbs when we reached Guangzhou, and by then, he had had a week to gain weight already. Today, he is 36 lbs and counting! NINE pounds in THREE months! He has grown taller, but I'm not sure how many inches he has grown.

Eric is still his favorite, but he is turning into a "Mama's boy" especially when he is tired. He will cry for me and be content for me to hold him and kiss him. He asks for me to lie down with him so he can rub my ears and hold my face. He isn't the "wild boy" anymore. He has lost some of his impulsiveness. He is a different child than he was in China, but has kept the same lively, adorable personality. He is loving,  helpful, playful, energetic, sweet, talkative (still talks non stop), and friendly. I thought for sure he was going to be completely and utterly difficult with discipline required all the time. I remember wondering what we had gotten ourselves into! I had visions of a little pyromaniac in my head! He is so the opposite. You would never have any idea of the kind of child he was while in China. I'm sure he still has adjustments to make and fears to overcome, but it is nothing short of amazing how he has adjusted to his new life, new culture, new family, new religion, new food, new house, new clothes, and on and on.


I'm still not sure when the best time is to give him pictures of his foster family. I am really torn about that. I'd love to show him now, but really don't want to cause him pain. Shouldn't that be in a manual or something? You know, after you have been home for 92 days, 10 hours, and 23 min., you should show your child his foster parents pictures.  Hate it when kids don't come with manuals. It means I might make the wrong decision and scar him for life~


Joanne  – (July 9, 2010 at 11:28 PM)  

It is amazing how fast the time is flying by!! Do you remember when we first met and the days dragged on and on waiting to clear the next hurdle!! Nine pounds is incredible!! DanDan has gained 4-6 lbs, but he lost a bit after his first surgery. I am amazed at how much SanSan has picked up. And no more bruises for you - woohoo!!!!

Anonymous –   – (July 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM)  

San San is different, thank God for answered prayer, you had a lot of people praying for him and the family to adjust to one another. I love being around the kids and he fits right in as if he was always there. I had no sound for this mornings post :(. I'll try checking more settings.

Love Omi

Annie  – (July 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM)  

So sweet, Heather!!! He is just the cutest:) I think you will know when it is time!!

~Rachel~ –   – (July 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM)  

I am so thankful to have your family in my life. It has opened my eyes to so many new things. I adore all of your kids. Jake is simply wonderful! Everytime I see him, I melt at his smile--that lights up to room....literally! Children are blessings!

XXRachel
PS love the video....but I did crash 2 cars :)

love3bug  – (July 11, 2010 at 7:56 AM)  

Hi Heather, You have a great little boy God has blessed you with. We have been home 4 months with our kiddos. They have also both adjusted amazingly. We decided to give them photos of their foster parents in the first month. At first we looked at those albums on a daily basis. Now they don't get them out at all. We also made them their own albums from the day we got them.
Mandy

Kristi  – (July 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM)  

The resiliancy is amazing, isn't it? So precious to read how much Jake as come to fit into your family. It's as if he was meant to be there all along...
And I think you'll know when it is time to share pictures. I'd try just one at a time and gauge his reactions.

Carla  – (July 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM)  

He is doing AWESOME! We've been home about 4-5 weeks with our newest daughter (she was 2.5). She too is scary skinny, but not gaining weight nearly as quickly. Like, she now weighs 22.5 pounds. 6 weeks ago when we got her, she weighed 21.2 pounds...at 35.5 inches tall.

I just posted on my blog about showing her photos of the foster family, and she grieved heavily (and still is). Someone told me that they had kept showing them from the first day...and while that didn't feel right to me, I went ahead and shared with Sarah what I had. Oh my...she ate it up, and became a little more affectionate with me. :) Good luck, and I look forward to following more of your blog!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP